Practice v9 points limits

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Jaime Lynn

Practice v9 points limits

Post by Jaime Lynn »

Is there a way of upping the points limit within the practice version so I can run the the training DVD I received on your training day? I get a points limit exceeded warning when trying to install the 12da data.
Matthew Monk

Post by Matthew Monk »

No way of changing the points limit for the practise version (at least not without re-programming), but I thought the Getting Started course notes included tips for staying within the 5,000 point limit. If you look in the Preface of the notes, there should be a section called "Using the Practise and Small Versions of 12d Model".
Jaime Lynn

Post by Jaime Lynn »

Thanks, I just wanted to run through the Advanced Road Design course dvd but our dongles are kept at the office. Would be useful if we could access these course dvds through the practise version.
Matthew Monk

Post by Matthew Monk »

A few tips that may help:
  • Delete any unnecessary models
  • Once you've got an existing surface tin, you may be able to delete the models of survey data used to create that tin. That's assuming you no longer need the survey data.
  • For any Apply Many function, increase the chainage interval and the chord/arc tolerance. Something like 50 m chainage interval and a chord/arc tolerance of 0.1 should be fine.
  • Don't create contours (or delete them once you've finished with them).
  • Don't create the road polygons (unless you need them for the visualisation stuff).
  • Clean your plot models once you're done with them.
  • Check any depth polygon/faces models.
They're just a few I can think of. I know they're not all realistic, since sometimes you need that data, but they can be useful settings for the Practise Version and trying to stay under a point limit on the full version.
Owen Thornton

Post by Owen Thornton »

Also, don't bother making too many changes to plot parameter files (PPFs) in the practise version, as the format is different between the practise and release versions. By design, they are not interchangeable.
John Fowler

Post by John Fowler »

Matthew Monk wrote:No way of changing the points limit for the practise version (at least not without re-programming), but I thought the Getting Started course notes included tips for staying within the 5,000 point limit. If you look in the Preface of the notes, there should be a section called "Using the Practise and Small Versions of 12d Model".
I completed these the other day and it does for the most part although there were a couple of instances where following what the course notes say caused me to go over the point limit.

From memory it said to use 20m chainage intervals for 300m of the road tin (for the practice version) which put the program over the point limit. I just done the first 200m of the road tin instead and it was then under.

Computing volumes using the end to end method also put it over the limit which the course notes don't mention or make suggestion as to how to avoid it. I just deleted the end to end volume tins to remove them and it was back under the limit again, so all good.
Owen Thornton wrote:Also, don't bother making too many changes to plot parameter files (PPFs) in the practise version, as the format is different between the practise and release versions. By design, they are not interchangeable.
When you say the format is different do you mean the way the user sets up things are different? Or did you just mean that to the user it looks the same between the practice and full version although under the hood the files are different? Thanks
Owen Thornton

Post by Owen Thornton »

I mean if you save a PPF in the practise version, you cannot use it in the release version. But yes, it looks the same to the user from a GUI point of view.