F2 Information Box

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Sam Rodger

F2 Information Box

Post by Sam Rodger »

Hey 12d Team
Just wondering if its possible to bring up the information box (F2) by clicking on a string, and keep it open when i move my mouse away. (combination of cntrl+Alt+......?) It would be useful to keep that box open without it vanishing sometimes.

thanks
sam
Bernard Daly

Post by Bernard Daly »

I'll second that motion!
Lee Gregory
12d Support

Post by Lee Gregory »

The problem is that as you say "sometimes".
The other times you want it to automatically go so you don't have to click on a button every time to make it disappear.

There is an Env Variable (Reset distance is env.4d Editor) that sets the distance in pixels that you can move your mouse before the Info panel is removed.
Sam Cech

Post by Sam Cech »

I would like to dock the info panel

so it is always shown on my screen - albeit blank when no option is active

why does it have to disappear? why is sometimes a problem? why not all the time?
Cheers
Sam

Tatras Consulting Ltd
www.tatras.co.nz
Alexander Todd

Post by Alexander Todd »

Agree with Sam.
ben begaud

Post by ben begaud »

There are many ways this could be improved.

- Env option to decide if it's "sometimes" or "all the time"
- Make better use of keyboard commands, e.g. if F2 was the bind for string inquire, then the option could be that the first hit of F2 brings it up and the second closes it. Why does further presses of F2 bring up multiple string inquires, when would multiple instances ever be useful for anything?
- Make better use of escape key, using escape already closes the string inquire, so its just a matter of making it always on until escape is pressed, similar to F2 but allowing for those instances where multiple inquires is used(I dont know when they would be used or why the function even allows for multiples)
- Make the box similar to the menu system, by simply moving the menu it will hold in place, otherwise you close it, you have already solved this for the other menus, it just needs to be applied to the inquire option.
- Or simply take a leaf out of autocad's properties box, it can be open, moved, docked, closed, empty, resized etc as Sam describes.

There are many simple ways this can be improved.
ben begaud

Post by ben begaud »

This one has been dormant for a while, anything from 12d or is it another one for the version 15 list? Surely these basic improvements for something that is used so much would have to be priority?
Phil Davies

Post by Phil Davies »

Definitely could improve the info panel, but Sam wrote a macro some time ago for a customised info panel, which I adapted to suit my needs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7y5md7qpljgu7eb/info.jpg?dl=0

You can even flip it over to the attributes, and it will remain open. Even if you close it, it always come back to the same spot, so you can set your windows sizes around it. One other thing I like about it is that you can cut and paste from it. Have a look at Sams macro and adapt it to what you want (until 12d can dock panels).
ben begaud

Post by ben begaud »

Was the macro posted online? Couldn't see it the forums and the dropbox link is for an image only?
Sam Cech

Post by Sam Cech »

Cheers
Sam

Tatras Consulting Ltd
www.tatras.co.nz
Phil Davies

Post by Phil Davies »

or here for the various iterations

http://forums.12dmodel.com/macro_view.php?m=49