Google Maps to 12d

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Paul Wood

Google Maps to 12d

Post by Paul Wood »

Whats the quickest way to upload a snapshot of google maps, so you can overlay your design strings?
Sam Cech

Post by Sam Cech »

images can be imported either using
Cad=>Image=>insert
or
Strings=>rasters=>create

use 2d helmert to transform it over your site
Cheers
Sam

Tatras Consulting Ltd
www.tatras.co.nz
Paul Wood

Post by Paul Wood »

Thanks Sam, able to import, but when I try to zoom in now, it disappears, I'm only able to view it when it is zoomed right out, do you know if there is a setting that allows you to zoom right in?
Sam Cech

Post by Sam Cech »

I am guessing you might have used Cad=>Image=>insert

when the origin point goes off the screen it disappears

try using
Strings=>rasters=>create

or alternatively
you can use
Strings=>rasters=>plan to raster

to convert the image to a raseter

difference being raster dont disapear when you zoom and the bottom left corner goes off the screen
Cheers
Sam

Tatras Consulting Ltd
www.tatras.co.nz
pete watson

Post by pete watson »

might not be the quickest way, but certainly get good results this way:

see post about terra-incognita-
http://forums.12dmodel.com/viewtopic.ph ... gle+images
pete watson

Post by pete watson »

... if you can't access the linked thread on practice version....

I use a freeware program called "Terra Incognita" which is a tile grabber for various online mapping sites (Google earth, Bing maps etc).

http://sourceforge.net/p/terraincognita2/wiki/Home/

Set bounds I need and then zoom to appropriate zoom level and output to any one of a number of image formats (usually I use an oziexplorer jpg file). May take a while to grab all the tiles depending on area and zoom level.

This is a geo-referenced image so can then just suck it into Global Mapper (used to be ~$400 USD)

http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper.php

Once in Globalmapper it's just a case of setting the correct map projection and zone/ datum and then you just output to an ECW file. 12d will then read this in beautifully and as long as you have your projection ok the image will be where it's supposed to be.

eg.

pete
Mathew McGuire

GE JPEG to Raster

Post by Mathew McGuire »

An alternate is to go to six viewer and turn on Survey marks, screen capture by selecting an easily defined point as BLH corner then import via Strings/Raster Create choose 100 as the pixel to mm. This will plonk the image down then simply translate to known scims point. You can then compare scale so you know how much to alter. Reimport at correct scale and confirm overlay to another scims point. Create insertion point for scaled image at BLH corner. Redo image with Scims turned off, but from same known point. Import and translate new (No Scims) image to previously defined insertion point.
Mat McGuire