Create new Tin based on highest or lowest of several Tins

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Roger Walker

Create new Tin based on highest or lowest of several Tins

Post by Roger Walker »

Firstly, new user and forum member here.
From the UK and new to 12D although not to this type of software.
I am using the practice version whilst waiting to start work in NZ.

Just a quick question - is there a macro or built in command to create a TIN from multiple TINS based on a highest/lowest criteria?

I realise this is possible by creating intersection strings and fencing. I was wondering if it has been automated in 12D at all?

Thanks and hope to become involved in this forum more once I have a dongle.
Matthew Monk

Post by Matthew Monk »

Welcome to the 12d forum and community.

In 12d Model, there's an object called a SuperTin, which is effectively a merging of multiple tins. However, this merging is done based on the order of tins, which you can set/change, rather than the highest/lowest. This tends to make more sense in most practical cases- design overrides existing, for example, regardless of whether design is in cut or fill (higher/lower).

There is also an option- Grid of Min/Max Tins- which creates a grid of points at a user-defined spacing with the z-value of those points taken as the minimum/maximum of several given surfaces (tins). You would then need to triangulate those resulting grid points to get a tin surface, but that's easy enough to do (and you could always combine both steps in a chain).

Caveat: some of the above may not be available in the Practise Version, but are definitely available in the full version.
Tony Nguyen

Post by Tony Nguyen »

A new built-in panel "Grid of Min Max of Tins" was added to v12; it runs a bit faster than the old macro panel.

Cheers,
Tony
Roger Walker

Post by Roger Walker »

Thanks I will investigate these options.