Symbol Size in Title Block

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Philip Norton

Symbol Size in Title Block

Post by Philip Norton »

12d 8.0C1f
I am trying to get a fixed (paper) sized symbol in one of my title blocks. No matter what I do the symbol draws at different sizes depending on the plot scale. This is really frustrating when a symbol that looks good on a plan form at 1:500 blows off the page at 1:5000. Please don't tell me I have to do different forms (title blocks) for each scale.
Sam Cech

Post by Sam Cech »

“paperstyle” symbols are in paper units (mm) always the same size on paper …. Any scale you plot at it will always be say 5mm wide.

“worldstyle” symbols are in ground units (meters) no matter what scale you plot it should always scale to measure 5 meters.

Hence you might want to check your symbols are “worldstyle”.

By the way same applies to Text size…
Cheers
Sam

Tatras Consulting Ltd
www.tatras.co.nz
Philip Norton

Post by Philip Norton »

I know this is old - but I have just reviewed it!
Title Blocks do not allow paper size - anything as far as I know.
The work around that I figured a couple of years ago [ :-) ] is to add a symbol to the model(s) I am plotting or maybe have a 'North Point" model. The last option does mean having a different "North Point" model for each plot but ...
Sam Cech

Post by Sam Cech »

That’s really strange because I can’t reproduce that.

I am using a PaperStyle symbol "Circular Nth pt" and a title block see attached files. (part of 12d symbols I think)

The north point is always 30mm at any scale you plot.
(plot preview Model is set to scale 1:1000)

If you use WorldStyle symbol you will find it to be always a FIXED size and hence proportional to the frame. As if you drew it as cad lines.

If you use PaperStyle symbols/text and you attempt to ‘reduce’ it while plotting eg plot A2 sheet on A4 paper at double scale you will find all Paper style elements will resize to be their paper units (mm). So the attached file with show that the north point if plotted from the plot preview model will become disproportionately large only if you reduce/scale print it. If that’s something you do a lot use world style symbol.

However, NORTH POINTS don’t belong into the title block frames.
This is because if you rotate your frame the north point will not point to north.
So the only way one should add a north point to a frame is to create a symbol in the world/projection coordinates and ensure it is rotated to North. So your north point model is the correct approach. There are few macros that aid in creating north points. But I find the NAMES file the best in V9.
Add this to your names file:

Code: Select all

"NORTH Point"                               *  "North Points"                    "blue"    point   0                     0      
{symbol_data}
"NORTH Point"                              "Circular Nth pt"       25    "blue" 0   0   0   0  

There are lot of things you can add to Names.4d file.. talk to Lane, he will show you how you can draw text arrow leaders using names.4d file. ;-)
Cheers
Sam

Tatras Consulting Ltd
www.tatras.co.nz