create section through a number of tin surface

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Eric Lau

create section through a number of tin surface

Post by Eric Lau »

I have a problem trying to create 1m interval cross section along a string through a number tin surfaces. can anyone help me with this? Thank you
Philip Davies

Post by Philip Davies »

Hi Eric,

Create a super tin (Tins | Create | Supertin) and use this tin to create the sections.
Lee Gregory
12d Support

Post by Lee Gregory »

What do you mean by a number of tin surfaces ?

Are you trying to get sections through say natural surface, top of rock, bottom of rock etc ?

Or is it one tin as a combination of a number of tins and a Super Tin will work as suggested by Phil ?
Eric Lau

Post by Eric Lau »

Thank you for getting back to me so fast, I am now trying to do it in supertin and hope that it will work.

Infact i am doing a model for a re-forced fill structure and I have created a number of tin surfaces to reflect the top of drainage filter, selected fill and so on. I am trying to make 1m interval section along the wall so that I can see the ground profile and the each type of material inside the wall. :D
Lee Gregory
12d Support

Post by Lee Gregory »

In that case you don't use a super tin.

Just add all the tins onto a section view and when you select a string to profile then it will show the section through all the different tins.
Eric Lau

Post by Eric Lau »

sorry I am just lost, I have try to but all the tin into the section view and just does not show anything in the view. however i can see that in both plan and perspective view.

any example or step by step instruction that i can follow? do i need to creat a 1m interval section line on plan first?
Philip Davies

Post by Philip Davies »

I am not 100% sure of what you are asking but....

If you have layers of tins - that is several tins that overlap one another at different heights then you can do the following

1. In your Plan view, turn on the triangulation of the top layer and create a string that you want your sections to run perpendicular to. A simple CAD string will work.
2. Goto Tins | Sections | X sections
3. Fill in the panel and the sections will be created, you will need to add them to the view.
4. In a section view, turn on all the tins that you want displayed and profile any one of the sections created in the plan view.
5. When you create the xsections to plot, all tins shown in the section view will be shown in the plot.

For more info on each of these steps you may want to refer to the training dvds or getting started guide.
Eric Lau

Post by Eric Lau »

thank you for your help, but i am still unable to generate the section in section view. Here is my problem

1. Yes I have already create a string that my section will run perpendicular to in different layer name.
2. Goto Tins | Sections | X sections ----->I have done this and it come up a x section menu.
3. I have tried to fill in the panel as follow:

layer point1 is acturally the bottom most layer out of the 6 layer I have.

4. have done that with all the tins turn on but nothing has shown in the section view. All I have generated is a 1m inrerval thats run only at the bottom layer see below picture.

5. have not done this yet because I cannot generate the sections yet.

Thank you one again for your help and I wish it can explain to you want sort of problem I have.
Bernard Daly

Post by Bernard Daly »

Eric,
If you are following Philip's 5 steps, at step 4 did you actually profile one of your cross sections? From your screen grabs it appears in your plan view 1 that you actually have some sections there. What you need to do then in your Section View is profile one of the sections and if you have all the relevant tins turned on in Section View 3 then I think you will get what you are after.

To profile the section string, in your section view click on the button that looks like a couple of wavy lines. It is the 5th button from the left and is right beside the 10x vertical exaggeration button. Once you have clicked on this, select and accept any one of your section strings from a Plan view and it will appear in the Section view. The left & right arrow buttons that are next to the Profile button in the toolbar will then allow you to advance through your sections one at a time.

See how you go.
Regards,
Bern
Eric Lau

Post by Eric Lau »

Bernard Daly wrote:Eric,
If you are following Philip's 5 steps, at step 4 did you actually profile one of your cross sections? From your screen grabs it appears in your plan view 1 that you actually have some sections there. What you need to do then in your Section View is profile one of the sections and if you have all the relevant tins turned on in Section View 3 then I think you will get what you are after.

To profile the section string, in your section view click on the button that looks like a couple of wavy lines. It is the 5th button from the left and is right beside the 10x vertical exaggeration button. Once you have clicked on this, select and accept any one of your section strings from a Plan view and it will appear in the Section view. The left & right arrow buttons that are next to the Profile button in the toolbar will then allow you to advance through your sections one at a time.

See how you go.
Regards,
Bern
thank you again, i just want to make sure something, am i right by choosing the bottom most tin surface in the panel for x section?? Do I need to make a supertin or not?
Eric Lau

Post by Eric Lau »

i just follow Philip's 5 steps again and up to step 4 now, when I pick the section line on plan it does show on the section view that I have pick something but did not acturally see the line there. See below picture.
:?

Philip Davies

Post by Philip Davies »

Hi Eric,

From your last post, you have selected a section string in the plan view -which we can see highlighted in the perspective view. In the section view you can see that the cursor has picked a string (it is a square not a circle (cursor snap) or a diamond (point snap). However, in order to actually see the section in the section view, you need to accept the string.

To accept the string do any one of the following.....

Pick the string....then
a) click on the right mouse button and pick accept
b) click the middle mouse button
c) press the enter key on the keyboard

BTW make sure that all the tins that you want shown as a section are turned on the section view.

And finally, you don't need a supertin - it won't help in this situation
Eric Lau

Post by Eric Lau »

oh... good news I finally make it, thank you very much for the help from both of you Philip Davies and Bernard Daly. Thank you so much :D
Bernard Daly

Post by Bernard Daly »

Eric,
Not quite sure what else to suggest. Although, it appears from your latest screen shot that you are in the middle of a tentative line selection. did you accept the selection? That should display your chosen section.
Try turning off all the tins in your section view and just profile the section to start with. If that works, then try turning on your tins one by one; they should appear but you may need to do a fit view.
Bern

Ha ha. I got distracted during my last reply and in the meantime you solved the problem. Very good. :lol:
Eric Lau

Post by Eric Lau »

Bernard Daly wrote:Eric,
Not quite sure what else to suggest. Although, it appears from your latest screen shot that you are in the middle of a tentative line selection. did you accept the selection? That should display your chosen section.
Try turning off all the tins in your section view and just profile the section to start with. If that works, then try turning on your tins one by one; they should appear but you may need to do a fit view.
Bern

Ha ha. I got distracted during my last reply and in the meantime you solved the problem. Very good. :lol:
Acturally I just right click on the button that looks like a couple of wavy lines and choose "Model Strings" and the section suddenly appear on the section view. this is amazing. Thank you once again for your help. :D