Copy and Paste

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Kannan yadav

Copy and Paste

Post by Kannan yadav »

If I copy 3d polyline entity from autocad and paste it in 12d model. the entity is transfering from autocad to 12d model and if I covert to super alignment its working. Shall I do it. Is it the right way Instead of File I/O>data input>DWG
Matthew Monk

Post by Matthew Monk »

It is one of the possible ways of doing it and is neither right nor wrong. The AutoCAD Copy & Paste functions are, as far as I know, pretty much doing the same process as via the File I/O->Data input/output->DWG. They simply take data from the clipboard (Windows' special location) instead of from a file.

The main benefit of using a file via the File I/O routines is that, if you have the anonymous input functions turned on (by default, they are), you actually get a record of the file that was imported and all the settings used to import the data. This can be very useful for QA purposes or if you had to change the settings from the defaults to get your AutoCAD data imported correctly.

I always tend to believe that the copy & paste is great for little bits of data- maybe new string here and there- where it may even be quicker/easier for you to draft something in AutoCAD (although once you learn it, the 12d drafting tools are great). Anything more substantial than a few strings here and there, say, an entire survey, I'd tend to use the File I/O options.
Shaneel12 lal

AutoCAD 2013

Post by Shaneel12 lal »

Matthew,

Is there any updated version on 12D that coincides with the release of AutoCAD 2013?

The Copy and paste command doesn’t work for 2013 Cad version.

Regards

Shaneel.
Matthew Monk

Post by Matthew Monk »

No, since Autodesk don't publish their DWG format that they change every 2 years. :roll: 12d always has to play a bit of a catch-up every time that Autodesk change their DWG format. Usually, it's only 6 mths, but you'd need the programmers to say (and even they might not know since it's an external library).

http://forums.12dmodel.com/viewtopic.php?t=4894