12d Mapfile to Trimble fxl Codelist

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Adam Stephen

12d Mapfile to Trimble fxl Codelist

Post by Adam Stephen »

Hi

Does anyone know of a way to convert a 12 mapfile to trimble fxl codelist?

Thanks
Adam
Alexander Cook

Re: 12d Mapfile to Trimble fxl Codelist

Post by Alexander Cook »

I use excel to quickly generate xml based files.
You can copy you 12d map file to an excel grid and use a string mapiluation formula to format a line as either a <FeatureLineDefinition> or <FeaturePointDefinition> in the fxl.

Let say you had the following as an excerpt of your mapfile in excel
Example.jpg
Example.jpg (22.65 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
You can use the following excel formula to generate an xml block for it

Code: Select all

="<LineFeatureDefinition Code="""&A91&""" Name="""&I91&""" Category="""&J112&""" IncludeInSurface=false Color=""FE000000"" Layer=""0"" FieldLineStyle=""Solid"" LineStyleName=""Solid"" LineStyleScale=""1"" LineLabelStyle="""" PointLabelStyle="""" PointLayer=""0"" />" 
The thing I like about using excel for stuff like this is that you can have a simple table of all the information (ie what your companys codelist) and from that you can generate both an fxl and a mapfile using formulas. And just drag the formulas down to capture all.

Then select the column with the new text, copy it to an empty notepad file and save as anything.fxl. Notepad will automatically format it correctly when you reopen.

Note that there will be header type information that you will need to just copy from an existing fxl, and this method doesn't capture attributes.
Alex Cook
Sunrise Surveying | Spatial Data Manager
acook@sunrisesurveying.com.au
Sam Cech

Post by Sam Cech »

Adam

Trimble feature definition manager (available via TBC install) can import codes from a CSV file. Useful if you only want codes.

If you need attributes, layers and valid colours it can get little more tricky. (also watch out for xml illegal characters such as & which need converting)

If all you need is codes try the csv path.

I wrote a macro available to buy that does mapfile to fxl and other formats with attributes. See our website for more info.

Cheers Sam
Cheers
Sam

Tatras Consulting Ltd
www.tatras.co.nz
Adam Stephen

Post by Adam Stephen »

Thanks