Actual and Entire 12d Folder Structure diagram

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Baron Collocott

Actual and Entire 12d Folder Structure diagram

Post by Baron Collocott »

Understanding how the folder structure of 12d operates in its entirety has been a little misnomer for a lot of students. The diagrams created in 12d manuals or private tuition companies etc, don't show it in an actual scenario, so I created one and wondered if I have it correct? My lecturer believes I do but I wanted to make sure!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18sqSf9 ... sp=sharing

Does anyone have any suggestions on accuracy and or modifications?

Baron Collocott

Re: Actual and Entire 12d Folder Structure diagram

Accidently had the file locked for viewing, have now unlocked it
Graeme Winfield

Post by Graeme Winfield »

Hi Baron

Which of the following best reflects what you want?
(A)

Code: Select all

<Drive>:\<Clients>     \<Job>                    \<12d Working Folder>\<12d Project Folder>\<Discipline???>
c:\Maxford Construction\Greymouth Retirement Park\BUILDING SETOUT\BUILDING SETOUT.project\SURVEY???

(B)

<Drive>:\<Clients>     \<Job>                    \<Area>         \<12d Working Folder>\<12d Project Folder>
c:\Maxford Construction\Greymouth Retirement Park\BUILDING SETOUT\SURVEY\SURVEY.project

(1) Your Standard job structure would usually be what ever is required for company standards.
(2) Then you could have a folder where your 12d projects are keep. Say "12d".
(3) Under the "12d" folder would be the 12d projects Working Folders.
(4) Under each Working Folder would be the Project Folder
(one Working Folder and one Project Folder for each 12d project)

(1) The Standard job structure could have many levels of folders that may include Job No., Client name, Project name, etc.
(3) The Working Folder contains all the input/outputs for the individual 12d project.
(4) The Project Folder contains all the binary files that the project creates. (don't touch these files outside of 12d Model)

You can have the Working Folders at different levels or under different areas per job but it can be simpler to have them all at the same level/location.
Depends if they are shared into each other or are totally stand alone 12d projects.

Others may comment on what folder structures work to suit their needs.
Sam Cech

Post by Sam Cech »

Baron Collocott wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:27 am My lecturer believes I do but I wanted to make sure!
lecturer? students?

12d model is very customisable, do whatever the lecturer says - I'd say
Cheers
Sam

Tatras Consulting Ltd
www.tatras.co.nz
Baron Collocott

Sam Cech wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:49 pm
"do whatever the lecturer says"
He said to go read about it and describe how the folder structure works... :lol:
Baron Collocott

Hi Graeme,

This has really helped thank you

I guess both A and B (and other scenarios, if any, all work) just depends on how one wants to structure it. My brain is definitely boxed in on the Windows type structure so your statement, highlighted in red, helped me make sense of it.
Graeme Winfield wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:35 pm (A)

<Drive>:\<Clients>     \<Job>                    \<12d Working Folder>\<12d Project Folder>\<Discipline???>
c:\Maxford Construction\Greymouth Retirement Park\BUILDING SETOUT\BUILDING SETOUT.project\SURVEY???

(B)

<Drive>:\<Clients>     \<Job>                    \<Area>         \<12d Working Folder>\<12d Project Folder>
c:\Maxford Construction\Greymouth Retirement Park\BUILDING SETOUT\SURVEY\SURVEY.project

"You can have the Working Folders at different levels or under different areas per job but it can be simpler to have them all at the same level/location.
Depends if they are shared into each other or are totally stand alone 12d projects".

Sam Cech

Post by Sam Cech »

perhaps he has something specific in mind covered in a lecture or from the HELP pdf file

see sections:
3.5 Organizing Working Areas
41.1 Folder Structure Installed by 12d Model
41.2.4 Folders Searched for Setup Files
41.2.5 Searching Order for Setup Files

as Graeme listed there are only the two required folders
.project (don't touch files in there via explorer - it is the project data)
the folder above that is called the working folder

you can create individual working folders per each .project or you can have many .projects in the one working folder

there are many different ways individual companies set this up for project management and data sharing reason
with many folders and subfolder, but ultimately each job only has a .project folder (one level above is the working folder)
Cheers
Sam

Tatras Consulting Ltd
www.tatras.co.nz
Baron Collocott

Thanks Sam that's very helpful info :D