12d to Twinmotion

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Janco Jordaan

12d to Twinmotion

Post by Janco Jordaan »

Hello,
Has anybody had success on a workflow from 12d to Twinmotion?

I want to export the following:

Design Strings - works fine as a .obj file

Design Tin's - materials comes out as flipped (double sided tin's option in 12d also doesn't work) - workaround is exporting the pavement trimesh as an .obj but need to make everything a trimesh ie. batter slopes etc.

Terrain - had some success importing from Infraworks as a .FBX file as this imports the raster image also as a material. Is there an option in 12d to export an .obj , .dae or .FBX file for the tin with a raster attached as the material of the object?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Lee Gregory
12d Support

Re: 12d to Twinmotion

Post by Lee Gregory »

I've never heard of Twinmotion.

The information would all be in a 12dXML file.
Paul McKay

Re: 12d to Twinmotion

Post by Paul McKay »

Janco, a workaround I have tried previously that seems to keep the file structure the best over other options fbx, obj etc. Is to export to IFC, route through Navisworks and back out using a plugin called Datasmith (link is below), then just import the result datasmith file into Twinmotion.

Unreal Engine/Twinmotion have released their Datasmith plugin for Navisworks last year. Datasmith is UE BIM import/export plugin used for a lot of the AEC software packages Revit, 3dsMAX, Archicad etc) the 'datasmith' file that this plugin produces works great for both Unreal engine and Twinmotion importing and exporting.

Unreal has some great rules based batch processing of IFCs which a lot more flexible than Twinmotion but there is a lot more to setting a project in UE to start off with. Hope this helps

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/datasmith/plugins