self contained training folder

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Peter Perreau

self contained training folder

Post by Peter Perreau »

Hi,
In future when 12d is releasing a training project could you please make it so the installer installs everything the training project requires to run (i.e. nodes files etc) inside the training folder, rather than simply overwriting some things in the C:\12d\9.0 location.

The current way is painful as its overwriting our company nodes file with the training one, then none of the company projects will run on that computer after the training install. When I switch back to the company nodes file the training project will not run etc.

Yes i have moved the training nodes file myself into the training project area and told the training environment file where to find nodes file for the training project but when i run the training project it still says its finding the nodes file in the original(C:\12d\9.0 default location) rather than the one updated in the env.config file?
*******current version 12d V9.0 C1f********
Owen Thornton

Post by Owen Thornton »

Peter,

Which training DVD/installer are you referring to?

Owen.
Last edited by Owen Thornton on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Perreau

Post by Peter Perreau »

Hey Owen,
Its the V9 intermediate road design.
Philip Davies

Post by Philip Davies »

Hi Peter,

I think there is a different problem to the one you describe. A nodes file is only useful to the dongle it is attached to, so I am pretty sure that we don't install a nodes file at all as there would be no point. I will check it out, but after 3 years of this DVD being used I would think others would have complained before this.

So I think we need to start again to track down the problem.

The training env_config file does nothing but point to the env.4d file that is used for the training.

The training env.4d file does nothing but point to the user and user_lib folders used in the training.

A quick look inside the training env.4d file shows me that there is no variable pointing to a nodes file, so it should be using your default one if it is stored in the C:\12d\9.00. If you store your nodes file elsewhere then you would need to look inside your company env.4d file and copy the line

AUTHORIZE_4D Z:\location

into your training env.4d file.

Alternatively you could just add this to the env_config file........

So I don't think this will have resolved your problem, but start by looking in your training env_config file and ensure that it is simply pointing to the training env.4d file. Then look in the env.4d file and ensure it is not looking for a nodes file and is simply pointing to a user and user_lib.
Peter Perreau

Post by Peter Perreau »

Thanks Phillip,
Im not sure what is happening but as soon as I hit the install for the intermediate training project it all of a sudden wont recognise the dongle in the nodes file. Therefore the created project must be locked to a dongle number that we dont have??
Philip Davies

Post by Philip Davies »

From your last post is it the training project you can't get into or your company projects?

If it is the training project, then it is likely that your nodes file is kept somewhere other than the default. Look inside the folder C:\12d\9.00 and see if there is a nodes.4d file there. If there is, open it and see if it is still in date.
Peter Perreau

Post by Peter Perreau »

Hey, Just had a look, our nodes file is in the default location and works with our dongles fine prior to installing the training project? I.e. it is not out of date.
Philip Davies

Post by Philip Davies »

Can you send me your company env_config.4d file, the training env.4d file and your company env.4d file

phil.davies@12d.com.sg
Peter Perreau

Post by Peter Perreau »

No worries Phil, will do shortly.