Averaging a group of base readings for a single point

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Patrick Winters

Averaging a group of base readings for a single point

Post by Patrick Winters »

Is there a short-cut to averaging a group of base readings for a single point.
At the minute I export the readings under the x y z function and use excel to calculate an average coordinate.
Is there a quick function to save me from using excel?
Angus Keane

Post by Angus Keane »

So many views for this topic but no response?

This is frustrating as trible access will average the points on the fly, but 12d will have multiple points. I'm also looking for a way to average the points based on sharing the same vertex ID, but havent found anything yet
paul hardwick

Post by paul hardwick »

The problem you have with averaging pts with the same pt id is, When you import the data the points that have the same id are generally mapped to different models.
So when it comes to writing and option that does this you need to concider it will have to search all models all strings on each model and each point on each string. time that by the amount of points and you'll be there all day.
The reason Trimble can do it "on the fly" is they only allow one point per id.
So when you try to store another with the same id it will ask if you want to average it.
Paul Hardwick
12d Support Qld
Angus Keane

Post by Angus Keane »

paul hardwick wrote:The problem you have with averaging pts with the same pt id is, When you import the data the points that have the same id are generally mapped to different models.
So when it comes to writing and option that does this you need to concider it will have to search all models all strings on each model and each point on each string. time that by the amount of points and you'll be there all day.
The reason Trimble can do it "on the fly" is they only allow one point per id.
So when you try to store another with the same id it will ask if you want to average it.
Thanks for your reply paul, i think my problem is not so much with the import, but more the post processing

Is there not a utility where you can select multiple points (ie by same name, point ID, model etc) and return a single (or many) points based on some input threshold?

below is a common occurrence for me, in where multiple topo measurements to a point comes out as multiple points maybe a fraction of a mm apart, which is difficult to operate on as now there are as many symbols as there are points, and any adjustment (such as translate) is now focused on one of the many points, rather than the average of the whole

Jed Clement

Re: Averaging a group of base readings for a single point

Post by Jed Clement »

Anyone know if something for this exists yet? Or anyone written a macro. I know Sam has one for GNSS, but be keen for something that averages a set of points based on a tolerance (i.e. points within 40mm)
Cheers
Jed
Sam Cech

Post by Sam Cech »

Jed Clement wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:59 pm Anyone know if something for this exists yet? Or anyone written a macro. I know Sam has one for GNSS, but be keen for something that averages a set of points based on a tolerance (i.e. points within 40mm)
LOL
yes it is unfortunately names as it was originally developed for GNSS data

but it does clusters of points, you can give it a view and tolerance and will hunt out which points are close to what other points, it will make clusters of them and only average each cluster independently.
weights can be applied by attribute
Cheers
Sam

Tatras Consulting Ltd
www.tatras.co.nz
Phil Davies

Post by Phil Davies »

Send me an email with some sample data, I may have something to help you out
Phil Davies
Spatial Data Manager
GMC Surveying
Phil.Davies@GMCSurveying.com
Matthew Monk

Post by Matthew Monk »

Average out those posts, Phil :wink: :D
12dwiki.com.au - Tips, tricks and tutorials for users of 12d Model

12d Synergy Support Portal and Knowledge Base
Luke Bowell

Post by Luke Bowell »

Was there ever a solution created for this issue?