DGN Mapping File

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Chris Roy Matira

DGN Mapping File

Post by Chris Roy Matira »

hi,

how do create a mapping file for ustn (dgn) element to be imported by 12D? I would like to map every level or color being used in my dgn file to a corresponding 12D model.

What is the coding format for this type of mapping file? Can't find any clear documentation on this type of mapping file.

tnx

chris
Matthew Monk

Post by Matthew Monk »

Chris,
There are a few (3?) different ways of importing DGN data into 12d at the moment, all under File I/O->Data Input. All use the standard 12d mapping file with the .mf extension. If you click on the folder icon next to the "Map file" field, then "Open", you should see the 12d Map File Editor (you can also get to it from File I/O->Map File). There are quite a few tabs on that panel each dealing with a different mapping aspect. You can start off with the Basic tab and deal with the others if you need to.

Under the Basic tab, you have a table with 8 columns- Key, Name, Model, Colour, Point Line, Linestyle, Weight, Comment. You're interested in Key and Model. Model is the model in which the data will go. Key is essentially the matching item in the DGN file.

Back on the Read DGN data panel, there will be a drop-down list "Key for mapfile". The value chosen here determines how your mapping file is created (or vice versa).

For example, for mapping levels directly to models

Code: Select all

ustn Level ===> 12d Model
1          ===> foo
2          ===> bar
Your mapping file would be:

Code: Select all

Key | Name | Model | Colour ... and the rest of the columns
1   |      | foo   |  ....leave the rest of the line blank
2   |      | bar   |  ....leave the rest of the line blank
Also, have a look at the documentation for the DGN binary input (you can hit F1 when the panel is active). You can use Populators to speed up the process (not sure if that's in the documentation, though).

Hope that helps.
Chris Roy Matira

Post by Chris Roy Matira »

hi matthew,

thanks for the tip. it really helps. I've found the discussion of the mapping file before on the help menu but I can't really understand the coding. your illustration really helped.

i usually do my preliminary layouts on microstation. Importi the lineworks on 12D, then doing the modifications is my usual workflow in surface modelling. With a mapping file now in use, creating tins will be now much easier.

thanks again.

chris
Olinelooo Olinelooo

Post by Olinelooo Olinelooo »

All use the standard 12d mapping file with the .mf extension. If you click on the folder icon next to the "Map file" field, then "Open", you should see the 12d Map File Editor (you can also get to it from File I/O->Map File). There are quite a few tabs on that panel each dealing with a different mapping aspect.????
ALi