Design HG/VG

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Matt Vaux

Design HG/VG

Post by Matt Vaux »

Hi,
Is there any chance when applying a HG/VG parallel to a string that the user can have the same options with the paralleled string as with a normal parallel. For example: New Name, Colour, and Target.
Graeme Winfield

Post by Graeme Winfield »

Hi Mathew

What version of 12d are you using and what is the command you are referring.

For example:
V11.0C1i
Strings =>Super alignments =>Tools =>Parallel
Matt Vaux

Post by Matt Vaux »

Hi Graeme
Im using version11.0C1i

Im referring to command
Stings => Utilities = > Developments = > Design HG/VG

Its a great tool for string re-grades but even better with the below changes
Graeme Winfield

I have not used this one before and see that there is no control on the string being created. It does not seem to be a macro.

What is the scenario that you use this option? Is using a computated Super Alignment or MTF modifiers an alternative way to create strings? They can also be easily modified and resolved/Recalced.
Matt Vaux

Post by Matt Vaux »

We use the command as surveyors in road construction.
For example if a design string does not tie in correctly with an existing road with its vertical geometry, then you can select the amount you want to adjust the height and over a nominated distance to create a smooth transition.
The command can be used for multiple scenarios, and is issued quite commonly by our team of surveyors, but would be great with some added features.
I am not familiar with how to use MTF modifiers as an alternative. do you have a link or video on this?

Thanks
Matt
Graeme Winfield

Depends on how many strings are being modified or re-created. If you had 10+ per road, then setting up an Apply MTF and MTF may be worth it.
Otherwise a Super Alignment that matches the design then transitions to the existing could be the go.

I will put a request in for an upgrade to Design HG/VG and see how that goes.