Making a plan and section of a dam

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Ryan Medalla

Making a plan and section of a dam

Post by Ryan Medalla »

Good day everyone! I am just a starter for 12d software and I am trying to make a section and a plan of a certain dam which has a top elevation of 170m and has a 20m interval for every berm which is 5m wide. I already made a tin for my natural surface using the raw data from the survey. My problem is when I try to make a tin for the designed surface the 20m interval for my 5m berm is not appearing in the tin. It just slopes downward without the berms and I dont know exactly if what I will use in making the berms. Is it alignment or a simple cad string?. Need help please. :wink:
Lee Gregory
12d Support

Post by Lee Gregory »

Ryan,

You need to work through the Getting Started for Design manual first. In can be downloaded from the web site http://www.12d.com. In it there are sections on templates and variable cut and fill tables which can be easily used to created berms as you require.
Ryan Medalla

Post by Ryan Medalla »

ok thank you sir.
Chris Roy Matira

Post by Chris Roy Matira »

hi ryan,

could you please tell me in detail the section of your dam, like the side slope. i'm trying to do your problem.

like you, i'm also learning 12D just lately. But I have a lot of experience in using other civil design softwares like land desktop, civil3d and currently now using inroads. my observation is that they almost behave the same, it just a matter of finding the right buttons to do a specific task.

i think what you should do first is to create an alignment and profile string of the dam. then attach the section template of the dam into it, with the natural grade as the target surface. i'll get back to you once i have tried it.

would you mind telling me what company do you work for?

chris
Ryan Medalla

dam section

Post by Ryan Medalla »

hi chris,

this are the details of my dam,actually my boss used surpac in making this section but he wants me to learn it in 12d. here it is, my top and finished elevation is 170 meters, side slopes in the right side of the dam is 1 vert. to 2 hor. then every 20 meters there is a berm that is 5 meters wide. at the left side, side slopes is 1 vert. to 1.8 hor. and there's no berm in it. Actually, what im doing now is i'm already making the template for that section,but still i'm having problems with it. Goodluck! By the way i'm working here at GHD Pty. Ltd. wat about you sir?
Chris Roy Matira

Post by Chris Roy Matira »

ryan,

could you please send me a sketch of the section of the dam and the segment with a berm.

send it to chris.matira at fluor.com. replace "at" with @ minus the spaces.

tnx.

btw, i'm with fluor daniel.

chris