12D how to force stop processes that are running slow

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
May-Wen2 Yeoh

12D how to force stop processes that are running slow

Post by May-Wen2 Yeoh »

Hi,

Is there any way to force stop a 12d process if it's taking too long, without having to force close the whole program (which means losing any unsaved work)?
I know hitting the escape key works for some things like stopping the profile tool if it's taking too long but if e.g. I have a supertin the needs to be updated, nothing works. I've been stuck waiting for hours on end before finally giving up and shutting the program down via windown task manager.

Thanks
James T Allen

RE: 12D how to force stop processes that are running slow

Post by James T Allen »

Hi May-Wen2 Yeoh,

I see there was no reply to this post. Did you ever get an answer through another forum thread or did you find out a solution another way? I have the exact same question.

Thanks,
James
Graeme Winfield

Post by Graeme Winfield »

Hi James/May-Wen2

This is really a question for the programmers to answer but for most things, I would expect that once 12d has run into problems, 12d may need to be end tasked.
There are some external apps like plotting a PDF or creating a DWG that you may be able to kill off.
One for the programmers.

What version of 12d Model are you using (11.0C1q, 12.0C1r, 14.0C1a)?
What OS do you have (Win7, Win8.1, Win10)?
What hardware to you have?
How much free space do you have on the local drive(s)?
Have you cleaned up %temp%\12d lately?
Have you installed the latest graphics card drivers?
What options are you using that are having the problem?
How many points does the project have Project =>Check base points?
May-Wen2 Yeoh

Post by May-Wen2 Yeoh »

Hi Graeme/ James

I'm using V12 on windows 10.
It's not really a hardware/ space issue. I work with very large topo, asc datasets. My main issue is that if I wanted to do a volumetric analysis on the tins, it takes forever to process all the points with no way of killing the process aside from force-shutting 12D down.

I know you can force stop other processes like profiling so was hoping there'd be a way to do the same with tins.

Would appreciate any feedback on this but yeah, sounds like just another '12D thing'.
Lee Gregory
12d Support

Post by Lee Gregory »

I don't think this is a "12D Thing".
I certainly can't interrupt many things in Word and most other software I use.

A process can only be interrupted when there is an obvious place to check for interrupts, and a full clean up can be done to take everything back to where it was before the interrupt.

So for some options this can be done, for others it is very difficult.

In V14 there is a message written to the Message Area whenever <Esc> can be used to interrupt an option.