Error in map file - V8 Training

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Trevor Cadieux

Error in map file - V8 Training

Post by Trevor Cadieux »

I am a new user and I am trying to run the training program and follow the training DVD. While trying to complete the task from the V8 Training DVD1 (Chapter named "BM IMPORT USING MAP FILE"), I can get as far as specifying the parameter file, reading this and then specifying the map file.

However when I click read at the bottom of the "Read X Y Z General File" box, I am given the message - "Error in map file".

Please advise what the problem is here and whether we need a new map file or parameter file sending through.
Philip Davies

Post by Philip Davies »

Hi Trevor,

When working through the training manual it is important that you create the project in the exact directory as specified in the manual. The reason for this is that 12d is looking for specific setup files that are founf in this directory. We do this so that if your company has it's own customised setup, you are not playing with their files while training.

So check that you are actually in the correct directory.
Trevor Cadieux

Post by Trevor Cadieux »

Yes, everything I have done in the training has been on my computers C drive and using the training folders in the 12D directory. I have had a few of our resident 12D experts look at it and they are suggesting that the map or parameter file in the training folder is corrupt.
Philip Davies

Post by Philip Davies »

Could you cut and paste the entire contents of your "output window" in her so I can check where 12d is looking for your files.
Trevor Cadieux

Post by Trevor Cadieux »

This forum wont allow me to post all the contents of the output window as I am given an error message that its too big? Is there any other way I can send it to you?
Philip Davies

Post by Philip Davies »

Just click on the email button in my post and send it to me
Philip Davies

Post by Philip Davies »

OK - what is happening is that your company is using their own env.4d file which is pointing to a location containing their own setup files.

If you send me the file Q:\Civil\12D\env_dc02.4d I will create you a new env file that will work for the practise version. Essentially all I need out of it is the location of your nodes file.
Trevor Cadieux

Post by Trevor Cadieux »

Ok I have sent you the 4D file via email. Let me know if you haven't received it
Philip Davies

Post by Philip Davies »

I have sent you a reply, but because it has a shortcut as an attachment then windows may not let you receive it. Let me know if it doesn't arrive....
Trevor Cadieux

Post by Trevor Cadieux »

The email filters at work didn't let it through. Please forward the email to trevorcadieux@hotmail.com
Trevor Cadieux

Post by Trevor Cadieux »

Thanks for your help Phil, I am now up and running

Regards