NEWBIE - terminating templates at an angle? B DRAIN to F DRAIN

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Hannah Tatam

NEWBIE - terminating templates at an angle? B DRAIN to F DRA

Post by Hannah Tatam »

Hello!

Firstly - I'm a newbie and I'm unable to read a few of the design forums, so I apologise if this question has already been asked.

I currently have a MTF template that is intersecting another MTF template at an angle. Is there any way to terminate a MTF template at an angle using the modifiers?

I understand I delete sections using "Fixed - Remove" but that looks staggered and messy. I'm interest in trying to us MTF snippet but am not familiar with it.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

FYI - the first MTF is a B drain, so shaped like this:
.._
/...\
......\_/
(please ignore the full stops)

and the second is an F drain, so shaped like this:

\_/

Very hard to smooth over when intersecting at an angle! 8)
Thankyou Kindly....

Hannah
Steve Hunter

Post by Steve Hunter »

Intersecting at angles is always ugly - you can usually trim on one side (using your fixed remove), but like you say on the other you wind up with steps, because you wind up trimming the inside strings before the next. You can always remove the resultant steps with width modifiers to push the strings back out, but it is a fiddly process.

Have you investigated fencing the strings to a new model (minus the overlaps), and using that?
Michael Gunter

Post by Michael Gunter »

If you can send me through a 12da of the data you are trying to merge I'll have a look with V11 in mind. Steve if you've got a couple of typical examples ditto.
Hannah Tatam

Post by Hannah Tatam »

Hi Steve / Michael!

Thanks so much for getting back to me - very kind of you. :)

Steve - I haven't heard of fencing the strings and am not sure what this process refers to. (As a bit of background about me, I'm a graduate transport engineer and this is only my 3rd day of using 12d. :wink: ).

I have emailed you both and look forward to hearing from you.
Thankyou Kindly....

Hannah
Steve Hunter

Post by Steve Hunter »

Hannah, is this the type of issue you are describing, when trimming two overlapping design elements?

(sample data sent to Mick)
Michael Gunter

Post by Michael Gunter »

Hi, thanks for the data, from a developmental point of view the tools to do this are already substantially completed for V11, your case has highlighted a few extras I'll add in. (Think I can handle that OK Steve.)
Hannah Tatam

Post by Hannah Tatam »

Hi boys!

Steve- I'm fairly confused by your screen shot, but I think its something similar. I managed to tackle it (with the help of my super intelligent senior) by putting in curved cad lines joining two tangent strings, and using a small interval modifier from there.

I can email you guys the final product if you're interested - might help with V11.

Another question - have you ever imported PTS file into 12d? We received our survey data in a .pts format rather than a genio file.

Any help would be appreciated :) happy thursday!
Thankyou Kindly....

Hannah
Marc Ferguson

Post by Marc Ferguson »

Hi Hannah,

.pts format is from Leica Cyclone, which is a Leica Laser Scanning Software.

If you open the file up in notepad you will see it is just a text file. Hence you can you any of the options under File I/O => Data Input => xyz then select one of the import options usually xyz pt-id or xyz general.
Hannah Tatam

Post by Hannah Tatam »

Ahhh I see.

Managed to input that data in - thanks so much Marc.

This is a fairly steep learning curve, which you two are assisting me with greatly!

I definitely owe both. Seeings as I can't offer wisdom or intelligence, I'm sending you a virtual beer. Enjoy!
Thankyou Kindly....

Hannah
di ting

Post by di ting »

I haven't heard of fencing the strings and am not sure what this process refers to. (As a bit of background about me, I'm a graduate transport engineer and this is only my 3rd day of using 12d. Wink ). ??

We provide fast success in ccna boot camp dumps exam by using our high quality prep resources. We offer up-to-dated and join ccna course online - pass-4sure dumps with a+ answers guarantee of network+ training success in Pittsburg State University
Last edited by di ting on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Gregory
12d Support

Post by Lee Gregory »

There are many software packages that use .pts as a format.
Leica Cyclone is one of them.

If no one has told you what software package the data came from and what the format the file is in, then it is all trial and error and all you can do is try and edit the file to see what it looks like.