Sharing several jobs to one master job

Any questions regarding the practice version are asked and answered here.
Julian Michael Flynn

Sharing several jobs to one master job

Post by Julian Michael Flynn »

We are currently working on a biggish project and have 6 sub projects. Each of our sub projects has our standard models for as-con etc.

Is there a way where we can share all of the subproject models into one master project if the models in the sub project have the same names?

I.e.
-in project A we have a model called "ASCON KERB"
-in project B we have a model called "ASCON KERB"
-in project C we have a model called "ASCON KERB" etc etc...

I want to create a master job and turn on one model called "ASCON KERB" and be able to view all of the models with that name simultaneously. Is this possible or if not, does anyone have an idea on how to set up the job better?

Thank you
Joel Allsop

Post by Joel Allsop »

Nope. The models names need to be different. But all is not lost....

As you share the models in to your master project you can rename them (eg. ASCON KERB A; ASCON KERB B; etc).

You can then setup a simple Chain, and use the "Add model to a view" command. As wildcards are allowed, you only need to enter the model name: ASCON KERB* Run the Chain, and all the ASCON KERB models will be added to the view.
Ed Wilson

Post by Ed Wilson »

Model names must be unique. You can;
+ rename the models like DES SECT1, DES SECT2, DES SECT3.... in the parent project
or
+ rename the model as it is attached / shared to each other project (there are fields for this on top of the share model panel)

I have tried both and prefer #1. Its less work and less confusing, trust me

You can have a chain prepare teh models for share, so
in project A have a model called "ASCON KERB" and a chain ran to clean, and duplicate that data to "ASCON KERB Sn"
Julian Michael Flynn

Thanks for the help. I have tried writing a chain to copy the models from each job and then output a 12d ascii file but it seems not to want to work (or more likely that I don't know what I am doing). Does anyone have any idea on how I can write the chain so that I can run it in the parent project and have it copy all the data from the sub projects into it?

r would this work? If I wrote a chain in each sub project that writes out a 12da and stores it somewhere and then reads those 12da's into the parent project? I know its possible for a chain to write and import 12da's but can I have a chain in the parent project that runs the chains in the sub projects?
Joel Allsop

Post by Joel Allsop »

As Ed mentioned, the best solution is to have uniqure names in each of the projects, but if you've gone to far to change everything.

Using the chain comand "Execution > Option-Manual" you can record the "Models =>Utilities =>Copy project models" panel with the project & models to copy already selected. When you run the chain, it looks like it will probably prompt you to complete the panel each time though.

The 12da way may be simpler. You'll need the chain in each project to dump out the 12da, and then a chain in your parent to read them in. You'll still have the issue of duplicate model names, so unless you use a pre/postfix, the 12da's will just dump everything in the same models.
A chain can be nested to run inside another chain. But so far as I know it can't run a chain that's trying "process" another project.

The macro boys may have a simpler solution.

I personally would say that sharing is the better choice, as your parent project will always have live data.
Matthew Monk

Post by Matthew Monk »

You could also combine the sharing models with a duplicate data step to get the same result as Copy project models. Might be easier to create in a chain. Just throwing ideas out there.

No macro calls for sharing, so we/you/not me would have to probably work with the panel anyway, which you may as well just do with chains.
Julian Michael Flynn

Thanks for the help guys. I think I've got something working now. Great help, Cheers
Blue Moon Blue

Post by Blue Moon Blue »

Is there a manual, or a list of shortcut keys ( ie control Z = undo) available

You can easily check out our high quality a plus which prepares you well for security+ questions testking. You can also get success in real network+ certification exam with the quality hodges and selftestengine.