12d Model Forum Index 12d Model
Civil and Surveying Software

RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Averaging a group of base readings for a single point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    12d Model Forum Index -> 12d Practice Version - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick Winters

New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Averaging a group of base readings for a single point Reply with quote

Is there a short-cut to averaging a group of base readings for a single point.
At the minute I export the readings under the x y z function and use excel to calculate an average coordinate.
Is there a quick function to save me from using excel?
Angus Keane

South Australia, Australia

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many views for this topic but no response?

This is frustrating as trible access will average the points on the fly, but 12d will have multiple points. I'm also looking for a way to average the points based on sharing the same vertex ID, but havent found anything yet
paul hardwick

Queensland, Australia

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem you have with averaging pts with the same pt id is, When you import the data the points that have the same id are generally mapped to different models.
So when it comes to writing and option that does this you need to concider it will have to search all models all strings on each model and each point on each string. time that by the amount of points and you'll be there all day.
The reason Trimble can do it "on the fly" is they only allow one point per id.
So when you try to store another with the same id it will ask if you want to average it.
Angus Keane

South Australia, Australia

PostPosted: Fri 10 May, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul hardwick wrote:
The problem you have with averaging pts with the same pt id is, When you import the data the points that have the same id are generally mapped to different models.
So when it comes to writing and option that does this you need to concider it will have to search all models all strings on each model and each point on each string. time that by the amount of points and you'll be there all day.
The reason Trimble can do it "on the fly" is they only allow one point per id.
So when you try to store another with the same id it will ask if you want to average it.

Thanks for your reply paul, i think my problem is not so much with the import, but more the post processing

Is there not a utility where you can select multiple points (ie by same name, point ID, model etc) and return a single (or many) points based on some input threshold?

below is a common occurrence for me, in where multiple topo measurements to a point comes out as multiple points maybe a fraction of a mm apart, which is difficult to operate on as now there are as many symbols as there are points, and any adjustment (such as translate) is now focused on one of the many points, rather than the average of the whole

Post new topic   Reply to topic    12d Model Forum Index -> 12d Practice Version - General All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: